Kings School ElyEstablished: 970
The Kings School, Ely, is a coeducational independent day and boarding school in the cathedral town of Ely, Cambridgeshire, England. It was founded in 970 A.D., making it one of the oldest schools in the world, though it was given its Royal Charter by King Henry VIII in 1541. The school consists of a nursery, a reception class, junior school, senior school, and an international study centre. It is a member of the Headmasters and Headmistresses Conference.
The Kings School in Ely is one of seven schools established, or in some cases, including this one, re-endowed and renamed, by King Henry VIII in 1541 during the Dissolution of the Monasteries.
The school has its origins in the religious house founded in Ely by St. Etheldreda in 673 AD. Before 1720 it was called the Ely Cathedral Grammar School. The school became co-educational in 1970, and in 1973, Queen Elizabeth II came to the school to celebrate the anniversary of the monastery. The school keeps a strong link with the cathedral by which it is overshadowed. A teaching institution has been on the site since 970, making it the seventh oldest school in the United Kingdom.
Seconary school,2 yr GCSE,1 yr GCSE,Pre-GCSE,A Level,Pre-A level