University of York York YO10 5DD United Kingdom
Sited on a modern, but very attractive, campus just outside the ancient cathedral city of the same name, the University of York is a gem. It excels in research and nestles near to the top 10 universities in the UK in all rankings which is shows the quality of education available there. Whether it is management, computing, English or a health-related programme you desire, you will find plenty of options at York.
York also specialises in more niche subjects like womens studies, post-war recovery studies and applied forensic psychology. Well respected worldwide, York is a serious choice for serious students.
In terms of location it is difficult to fault, sited in northern England where living costs are cheaper, yet as York is the hub of the rail network, every train from London to Edinburgh stops at its palatial station. Leeds Bradford airport is a hub for low cost airlines and only a stones throw away. For those interested in shopping the city boasts a vast out of town designer outlet centre. If the outdoors are more your thing, York is sandwiched between the North Yorkshire Moors and the Yorkshire Dales - simply stunning.
* York University is currently ranked 70th in the world according to the Times Higher Education supplement, a remarkable achievement for a relatively young university, founded in 1963
* York University was 11th in the Times Newspaper: Good University Guide 2010
* In the i-graduate Summer 2009 ranking of 95 universities internationally, York was ranked the 4th best university for Learning internationally and the 3rd in the UK
* In the i-graduate Summer 2009 ranking of 95 universities internationally, York was ranked the 3rd best university for Good teachers internationally and the 2nd in the UK
* In the i-graduate Summer 2009 ranking of 95 universities internationally, York was ranked the 2nd best university for Halls Welfare
* York has among the highest proportion of research activity of world-leading 4* status of any UK university, and is rated 8th out of 159 higher education institutions in the UK for its research excellence.
* The city of York was voted European Tourism City of the Year in 2007
* The city is a unique mixture. It has 2000 years of history but the modern city is also a magnet for high-tech businesses. The development of York Science Park has made York one of the first dedicated Science Cities in the UK
* The city is easy to reach from other parts of the UK and around 2 hours by train from London