• Blundells School

    Established: 1604

School Introduction

Blundells School is a co-educational day and boarding independent school located in the town of Tiverton in the county of Devon, England. The school was founded in 1604 by the will of Peter Blundell, one of the richest men in England at the time, and relocated to its present location on the outskirts of the town in May 1882.

The school has 350 boys and 225 girls, including 107 boys and 65 girls in the Sixth Form, and is a member of the Headmasters and Headmistresses Conference.

The Old Blundells School was built to be much larger and grander than any other in the West Country, with room for 150 scholars and accommodation for a master and an usher. The Grade 1 listed building is now in the care of the National Trust and the forecourt is usually open to visitors. One ex-Blundells boy was the writer R. D. Blackmore 癒Xin Lorna Doone he used the Blundells triangular lawn as the stage for a fight between John Ridd and Robin Snell.

Peter Blundells executors established links with Balliol College, Oxford, and with Sidney Sussex College, Cambridge, and large sums were settled to provide for scholarships for pupils of the school to attend those colleges. The first Sidney Sussex scholar was nominated in 1610 and the first Blundells Balliol scholar in 1615. The links with these colleges still continue today, although without the closed scholarships.

Courses Offered:

Seconary school,2 yr GCSE,A Level


View Larger Map
  • Nearest Airport: Bristol
  • Nearest Station: Tiverton Parkway